Why I won't be going back to ((BOUNCE))

((BOUNCE))
One evening I came out of my BodyAttack class to see a group of ladies in fantastically garish leggings making their way downstairs to the gym creche. Drawn like a magpie to the brightly-coloured patterned spandex, I investigated, and found out they were there to do ((BOUNCE)). The latest fitness craze, involving bouncing on mini trampolines, has been deemed by NASA to be the most effective type of exercise...something to do with gravitational pull, or something. Now, I'm no scientist, but unfortunately I disagree.

I wanted to love it, I really did. Bouncing around to music wearing rainbow leopard print leggings sounds like a great way to burn (supposedly) 700 calories. But it just wasn't for me.

The first 40 minutes of the 1 hour class was 'choreographed dance-cardio jumping routines'... yet I barely broke a sweat.

In my usual aerobic Les Mills classes or Zumba, I feel my heart rate increase, get out of breath and sweat buckets, but in ((BOUNCE)) I felt no more exerted than when taking a walk.

The routines involved jumping left, right, forward and back on the mini trampoline, performing squats, star jumps, kicks and hops. But I found it impossible to bounce in time to the music (which for someone with relatively good rhythm was incredibly frustrating - perhaps different weights bounce at different speeds?!)

I was also anxious of landing on the metal trampoline frame as there's only a small surface to safely land on. I felt unsteady on my feet and therefore not confident enough to go for it and get a proper workout.

On top of this, the noise of 20 trampolines squeaking (all out of sync, might I add) wasn't the most pleasing to the ears, and pretty much drowned out the music.

Of course, practice makes perfect, and I'm sure enough practice would enable me to get more of a workout, but to be honest I just didn't enjoy it enough to want to go back.

The final 20 minutes of the class focussed on toning and I preferred this section more, as I could actually feel something working. The tricep dips on the edge of the trampoline were the most effective move I did all night.

((BOUNCE)) classes are incredibly popular; always fully booked and a committed 'BounceArmy' of followers, so clearly, it works for some. But for me? I think I'll stay safely on solid ground.

I'll take a pair of jazzy leggings though.

Have you ever tried ((Bounce)) Fit? 

CONVERSATION

Back
to top