Juicytox: a four day juice cleanse


So, I've officially lost my mind and voluntarily signed up for a four day juice detox. For the next four days I'm going to be consuming only juice, lemon water and herbal tea. 


What is Juicytox?

Juicytox provide a range of juice cleanse programmes that provide the digestive system with an entire break in order to improve energy levels, clear skin, reduce bloating and improve the immune system. Their juices are made from the freshest fruit and veg, and are delivered to your door (by hand if you live in Sussex, or by courier to elsewhere in the UK) twice throughout the programme, to ensure optimum freshness. I'm doing the 'Premium Cleanse' which looks something like this:
8am - ginger shot
9am - Drop Veg Gorgeous (cucumber, celery, spinach, kale, pineapple, pear & lime)
11am - Bright Eyes (carrot, apple, orange, lemon & ginger)
1pm - Spicy Lemonade (lemon, lime, agave nectar, cayenne pepper & activated charcoal)
3pm - more Drop Veg Gorgeous
5pm - Sweet Beets (beetroot, pineapple, lemon, carrot & apple)
7pm - Almond Mylk (dates, cashews, vanilla, agave nectar, cinnamon & sea salt)
There are also 3 herbal teas to have throughout the day, including a night time tea to have before bed.


Why am I doing this to myself? 


Although I go the the gym every day, and eat well during the week, at the weekends I binge on junk food, and despite the amount of exercise I do, I've put on some weight. Going forwards, I'm going to make a conscious effort to hold back on the treats at the weekend and stick to just a cheat meal or two, and in order to do this I felt a detox was in order. I'm hoping the juice cleanse rid my body of those addictive additives and sugars, shrink my appetite, and kick start weight loss.

I write this on Monday evening, just about to eat my last solid meal until next weekend (quorn sausages, beans and peas - if you were wondering). I'm feeling a little scared; I'm worried my hanger will take over and I'll be a total bitch to my boyfriend and co-workers, I'm worried I won't be able to concentrate at work and I'm really not looking forward to taking four days off exercise. But, I'm looking forward to the boosted energy levels, the weight loss, and the Cashew Mylk - which actually sounds pretty yummy! 

Over the next four days, I'll keep a diary of how I'm getting on, and I'll post the results (complete with before and after pictures, eek). See you on the other side! 


Day 1: 

  • 8am ginger shot is actually quite nice and refreshing
  • 9am - first green juice down, tastes fine, but instantly waiting for the next one 
  • 1pm - I was expecting the black one to be the worst but it actually tasted really nice! Cloudy lemonade, can't taste the cayenne pepper or the charcoal (just a powdery texture)
  • Clock watching for next juice....
  • Beetroot one not too bad either!
  • Cashew Mylk is really nice as expected
  • Conked out at 7.30pm (watching my online lecture, oops. Got to catch up on that now!)
  • Woke up at 10pm to drink my night time tea and watch Made in Chelsea
  • Slept through until 7.30 like a baby. 

Day 2:

  • Walked to work as normal, feeling well rested and energetic
  • I was told to expect caffeine withdrawal headaches, but I feel fine.
  • I take back that the beetroot one isn't that bad. It's rank.
  • Came home to find my second batch on the doorstep. Oh joy...
  • My mum's cat (that we're looking after) escaped out of the window. I felt sick and shaky with worry and absolutely physically exhausted chasing her around the garden until 11.30pm.
  • Cat back safe and sound. Fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. 


Day 3:

  • Again walked to work feeling fine - was worried I'd have no energy for my daily uphill powerwalk!
  • Colleagues say I look radiant and glowing!
  • I'm not hungry, but this is just really bloody boring.
  • I swear these juices are tasting worse by the day. The orange one just made me gag. 
  • More compliments on my glowing skin! Woohoo!
  • The beetroot one is TRULY horrendous. 


  • Am I thinner yet? 
  • Fell asleep at 7.45. Missed the end of Eastenders, boo. 

Day 4: 

  • It's Friday, got MJ on the iPod and wearing a black pinafore dress that was too tight last week! Feeling prettyyyyy great. 
  • Can't wait until tomorrow - Zumba and food!
  • Quite enjoyed my last Black lemonade, but can't deny I'm pleased it's the last one.


  • Detested my last beetroot juice. THANK GOD THAT'S OVER. 
  • Lunch time trip to M&S Food Hall to stock up for the weekend! Pesto pasta baby!!!! Woop woop!
  • I had my Cashew Mylk at 7 to finish the programme, but really worried about fainting at the gym tomorrow - I'm booked in to Zumba and Body Sculpt at 9am, so at about 9pm I had a tiny slice of toast, a few carrot sticks and humus for a bit of energy. Does that count as cheating? Nahhhh!

Juicytox Results


Inch loss


Let's be honest, inch loss was what I was hoping to get out of this. I've lost 5 inches in total over four days, 3 of which came off my hips, which is my target area so that's great! My face also looks much slimmer, and in these pictures (although my head is at a slightly different angle) you can see I've lost a few chins! I just hope these inches stay off now I'm back on to eating solid food.


Cravings


Unfortunately I think the detox had the opposite effect on curbing my cravings. Not eating for four days, I have been daydreaming about pizza, cheese, bread, crisps, burgers... but I don't want to put those inches back on. This morning I had scrambled eggs and avocado on toast (OK, it was cheesy bread, but I just had to!) to perk me up for getting back to the gym (which I really missed!) and a vanilla protein shake afterwards. I'll try to keep a healthy diet, but the detox hasn't made this any easier than usual.


Skin


I've been blessed with good skin naturally, and personally can't see much difference, but my work colleagues and boyfriend have all complimented how 'well' and radiant I look.


Energy


In the days of the cleanse, I felt fine - probably more perky than usual to be honest, and no mood swings! But in the evenings, I fell asleep really early. I'm writing this on Saturday morning, after two gym classes, and I still feel quite full of energy and ready for a productive day of blogging. Quite often after a double session, I feel exhausted and just want to watch TV and chill all day, so I hope this buzz lasts!


Final thoughts...


Overall, my juice cleanse was a fairly positive experience, although a boring one! I wasn't hungry, moody or lightheaded... I felt energised, and I lost some weight (whether it stays off is a different matter... but I guess that's up to me!).

I'm disappointed at how much I am now craving all the naughty savoury food, because I was hoping to finish the programme as a lover of a clean, healthy diet - but I guess I just love food too much!


However, I do think the cleanse will kick start a healthier diet for me overall (after a few little treats this weekend!) because I am inspired by the inch loss, and want to carry on slimming down into last summer's playsuit (this one!) which is now a little tight!


Have you ever done a juice cleanse? Would you want to?

CONVERSATION

Back
to top